Brown Sugar Pound Cake for National Bundt Day!!!

It’s National Bundt Day!! Mary the Food Librarian has been baking bundts every day since October 17th in anticipation for today!! It has inspired me to make my very first bundt cake! It might have also been because I was promised a button exclaiming “I Like Big Bundts”?Check out Mary@The Food Librarian to find out more and to see her great bundts!!** 
taken from All Cakes Considered by Melissa Gray* 

2 sticks (1 cup or 228g) of unsalted butter at room temp
½ cup shortening
16oz (2 ¼ cups) of light or dark brown sugar
½ cup sugar
5 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour aka plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans

The author notes that you should take out your butter and eggs at least 1 hour before you start making your cake.

Pre-heat the oven to 350*F or 180*C or gas mark 4
Line your 10 inch tube pan or cake pan or bundt pan like I did! I didn’t line my bundt pan I just sprayed and floured it!
  1. Cream your butter and shortening on medium speed
  2. Combine your sugars
  3. Then add the sugars half a cup at a time, beating 1-2 minutes in between cups
  4. Add the eggs one at a time and same as before beat 1-2 mins in between
  5. Dry whisk your flour and baking powder together (easier then sifting)
  6. Then alternate the flour and milk (Melissa notes add 1 cup of dry ingredients for every 1/3 cup wet) on a low speed. All of us bakers know that you don’t want to add flour then mix on med/high because flour will be everywhere!!
  7. Once it’s all added speed up your mixing for about a minute.
  8. Add the vanilla.
  9. Fold in the pecans.
  10. Bake for 70 minutes. I only needed 60 minutes but I used a bundt pan not a tube pan so might be why there is a difference.
  11. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and carefully flip out! 


I sprinkled mine with icing sugar! It is very tasty!!  Oh and do not skip out on the pecans... in fact I’d add more!! :0)


*That’s right I told you I had an addiction in an earlier post and like most addicts I try to hide it. So, I hid this book on my shelf hoping no one would notice. ;0)
**Pun intended!!

Note: With day light fading my pictures have to resort to indoor lighting. Boo. I apologize for the just okay pictures!!
Resource: Bundt's and Nordic Ware and Home Sense and Amazon UK and Amazon USA

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous bundt! I love that pan - your cake looks like a pine cone sprinkled with snow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sara! You are so right it does look like a pine cone!! Didn't taste like one though!! ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.